Saturday, December 8, 2012

Do righties think that creating minimum wage jobs is the same as creating career tracked good paying jobs?

Q. Rick Perry seems to be quite proud of his record of creating minimum wage jobs in texas over the recent years. I'm not sure if we should be counting McDonalds and Toys R us on the job creation tally.

A. Why does your track record overlook the many businesses that Perry has enticed to move to Texas during his time as governor?


What lies should I put on my resume?
Q. I've had two previous jobs, but I didn't get them using a resume. It was through connections and such but I worked at these places for like 3 years. I wanted to get another job now and was thinking of applying at Toys R Us or any other big company, as a cashier. I applied at a Food Basics once but never heard from them. I was thinking I should lie a little to improve my resume. Does anybody know any lies that would seem impressive but believable for a 16 year old male with previous job experience.

A. Lying on a resume or job applications is a giant career no-no. Get caught and you can kiss your chances for getting any other jobs buh-bye.


Can a 14 year old work at any of these places?
Q. I will be turning 14 in July and I want to get a head start on money for college, and for stuff I want. Some of the places I thought about are:
Giant Eagle
CitGo (Country Fair)
Old Navy
Toys R Us
Places in the mall
Stuff like that. Could I work at any of those places? And what are some other places I could work? I undderstand that I can't be a chaseir untill I'm 16. Thank You!

A. Wow! Um actually I was working when I was 14. You just need a work permit and permission from your parents and your school. They won't let you work certain hours / times, but you can certainly work part time. Granted I worked at McDonald's, but I did the cash register, drive thru, etc. Look into federal labor laws, they apply to all states, and although the states also have their own laws on the subject, most have no problem with this that I know of.

Here is a list from the US Department of Labor:

If you are under 14 you are only allowed to:

deliver newspapers to customers;
babysit on a casual basis;
work as an actor or performer in movies, TV, radio, or theater;
work as a homeworker gathering evergreens and making evergreen wreaths; and
work for a business owned entirely by your parents as long as it is not in mining, manufacturing, or any of the 17 hazardous occupations.
There are different rules for children under age 14 working in agriculture. States also have rules, and employers must follow both.

Fourteen and 15-year-olds are limited in what hours they can work and what jobs they can do.

What hours can I work?
All work must be performed outside school hours and you may not work:

more than 3 hours on a school day, including Friday;
more than 18 hours per week when school is in session;
more than 8 hours per day when school is not in session;
more than 40 hours per week when school is not in session; and
before 7 a.m. or after 7 p.m. on any day, except from June 1st through Labor Day, when nighttime work hours are extended to 9 p.m.
If you are home schooled, attend private school, or no school, a "school day" or "school week" is any day or week when the public school where you live while employed is in session. There are some exceptions to the hours standards for 14 and 15-year-olds if you have graduated from high school, you are excused from compulsory school attendance, or you are enrolled in an approved Work Experience or Career Exploration Program or Work-Study Program.

What Jobs can I do?
There are certain jobs you are allowed to do, including:

retail occupations;
intellectual or creative work such as computer programming, teaching, tutoring, singing, acting, or playing an instrument;
errands or delivery work by foot, bicycle and public transportation;
clean-up and yard work which does not include using power-driven mowers, cutters, trimmers, edgers, or similar equipment;
work in connection with cars and trucks such as dispensing gasoline or oil and washing or hand polishing;
some kitchen and food service work including reheating food, washing dishes, cleaning equipment, and limited cooking;
cleaning vegetables and fruits, wrapping sealing, and labeling, weighing pricing, and stocking of items when performed in areas separate from a freezer or meat cooler;
loading or unloading objects for use at a worksite including rakes, hand-held clippers, and shovels;
14 and 15-year-olds who meet certain requirements can perform limited tasks in sawmills and woodshops; and
15-year-olds who meet certain requirements can perform lifeguard duties at traditional swimming pools and water amusement parks.
If an occupation is not specifically permitted, it is prohibited for youth ages 14 and 15.

How much should I be paid?
Although some exceptions may apply, in most circumstances you must be paid the federal minimum wage, $7.25 per hour. Your eligibility for the federal minimum wage depends on what you do and where you work.

If you are younger than 20 and eligible for the minimum wage, your employer may pay you as little as $4.25 per hour for the first 90 consecutive calendar days of your employment. This is not limited to your first employer. Each time you change jobs, your new employer can pay you this youth minimum wage.

There are different rules for 14 and 15-year-olds working in agriculture and states also have rules; employers must follow both


Does your daughter have a Barbie Dream House?
Q. They cost $119 at Toys R Us. Is it worth it?

I had one when I was little and it was great, but I have heard people say that these new ones are cheaply made and not worth the money because everything falls apart.

If your child has one, what was your experience? Also, how old is your child?

A. My girls don't have the barbie dream house but they do have a big barbie house. It was a hand me down from a friends daughter. They played with it for about 2 days. The thing is my daughters have a lot of barbie furniture (I have twins so we tend to have 2 of everything) They prefer to make *rooms* with the furniture on the floor instead of using the house. I'm getting a friend to make them custom barbie houses out of MDF. That way they can have the rooms set out how they want and in the colours they like. Shop bought barbie houses usually only have one bedroom. In my experience from being a huge barbie fan growing up one bedroom is never enough! She has to have rooms for her sisters, a nursery, bathroom, kitchen, dining room, lounge and garage! I used to make rooms for my barbie furniture on the rug or on the shelves of a bookcase. I had hours and hours of fun!

In respose to imana's answer with regards to Barbie dolls creating a bad body image for young girls, I think the Bratz dolls create possibly the worst image ever. Botox lips, skimpy clothes over use of make up. lets face it bratz look like hookers. Hmmm lets see what Bratz do for a living... models and fashion divas what a great role model. At least barbie has had many careers in her lifetime. Also barbie has a close bond with her sisters which creates family values. If I had to choose between bratz and barbies I know what choice I would make.





Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment